Coronavirus Pandemic – Asbury Park Boardwalk Reopens
Asbury Park Strong news – Asbury Park, NJ: Office of the Mayor reports 5.22.2020.
“Asbury Park Boardwalk and Beaches will be open for Memorial Day Weekend. We know our residents are looking forward to summer. And, Asbury Park has always welcomed visitors—we know how much they help our economy,” said Mayor John Moor, “That said, this is not a normal summer season. We are in the middle of a pandemic, and we need to be smart. We are going to have to limit numbers, practice social distancing, wear face coverings and masks, and make the experience as contactless as possible for the safety of beach visitors and our staff. Our goal is to keep our residents and visitors safe and keep our boardwalk and beaches open. We thank everyone for their continued efforts and cooperation in helping to make 2020 a healthy and enjoyable summer for all.”
The Asbury Park Boardwalk will re-open on Friday, May 22, 2020, if not sooner.
- The Boardwalk will be set up for one-way travel in each direction. Pedestrians will be asked to stay to the right when walking. Please follow signage and markings on the Boardwalk.
- Social distancing will be required on the Boardwalk.
- Benches will be removed from the Boardwalk until further notice to eliminate congregation.
- Please wear face coverings or masks (except in the cases where doing so would inhibit that individual’s health or where the individual is under two years of age) when: Walking on the Boardwalk; Entering or exiting the beach on beach entry ramps; Using restroom facilities. Face coverings/masks do not need to be worn when swimming or sunbathing
- Asbury Park Convention Hall will remain closed until further notice, however the restrooms will be accesible to the public from the beach side entrance.
- City ordinance prohibits dogs on the Boardwalk from May 16 to September 14.
- City ordinance prohibits bicycles on the Boardwalk between 10am and midnight.
- City ordinance prohibits skates, rollerblades, skateboards, and scooters (except handicap vehicles) on the Boardwalk at all times.
2020 Beach Season Policies
To provide a safe and healthy environment for beach visitors during the COVID-19 pandemic, and comply with the latest State and Federal guidance, the City has developed an opening plan resulting from a culmination of efforts by City Council, the Beach Office, the Department of Public Works, the Office of Emergency Management and the Asbury Park Police Department. The City will evaluate the beach program daily throughout the 2020 Season and make safety adjustments as needed.
Social distancing will be required on the beach – groups of beach patrons (families, household members, caretakers, couples) must sit at least six (6) feet apart from others.
Please wear face coverings or masks when walking on the Boardwalk, entering or exiting the beach on beach entry ramps, and using the restroom facilities. Face coverings or masks do not need to be worn when swimming or sunbathing.
Overall beach capacity will be controlled for the 2020 Season due to COVID-19 by limiting the number of beach passes sold. Individual areas of the beach will be monitored daily and beach entry points may be closed to ensure proper social distancing.
2020 Beach Entry Ramps
Access to the beach will be available at the following beach entrances for the 2020 Season:
Asbury Park Casino, First Avenue, Second Avenue, Third Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Sixth Avenue
Due to ongoing construction of the north end of the Asbury Park Boardwalk, the following beach entrances will be closed until further notice: Seventh Avenue, Eighth Avenue, Deal Lake Drive
2020 Beach Pass Rates
To access the beach, beach passes (badges or wristbands) must be worn at all times and will be checked on your way onto the sand. Beach passes will be required to access Asbury Park beaches beginning Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 9am and will be required through at least the Monday of Labor Day Weekend. Please note: Beach passes are not required on weekdays until June 15, 2020.
All sales for beach passes for the 2020 Season will be done exclusively through the Viply mobile app (www.viplypass.com/asburypark). For the 2020 Season all beach pass purchases will be cashless.
Daily Beach Passes
- A limited number of daily beach passes will be available for purchase exclusively through Viply each day at 5pm for the following day only beginning Friday, May 22 at 5pm, and will be available until quantitites sell out.
- Daily beach passes can only be used for the day they are purchased.
- Each app user is permitted to purchase a maximum of four (4) daily beach passes each day.
- For any Viply purchases of daily passes, you do not need to go to the Beach Office or Beach Booth, go directly to any beach entry point and simply scan in your app with the beach badge checker who will give you a wristband that is valid for the day.
- A small quantity of daily passes will be available for sale each day in-person at the Beach Office to accommodate those who can’t access a mobile device to purchase through the Viply app. Passes will be sold on a first-come/first-sold basis until sold out. All transactions will be by credit card only. No cash will be accepted.
- 2020 Season daily rates: Monday to Friday: $5; Weekends and Holidays: $7
- Children under 12 are free and do not need a beach pass to access the beach, but must be supervised by an adult.
- No refunds for daily passes will be given for any reason, including weather or beach closures.
Seasonal Beach Badges
- The number of seasonal beach badges sold for the 2020 Season will be limited. Season beach badge sales are currently closed. We are hopeful that we will be able to release additional Season Badges later in the season as we continue to monitor and assess our beachfront.
- No refunds for season badges will be given for any reason, including weather or beach closures. Beach badge fees cannot be prorated for badges bought later in the 2020 Season.
- Season badge holders will always have access to the beach, though there may be times where specific entries points are closed in order to ensure proper social distancing.
- For Viply Season Badge Purchases, starting starting Saturday 5/23 – Viply season badge purchasers can scan in and pick up their season badges at 3 locations Asbury Ave Beach Booth, 2nd Ave Beach Booth and 6th Avenue during Beach Office Hours
Season Beach Badge Gift Certificates
- Gift certificates purchased for the 2020 Season will be honored and can be exchanged for a season beach badge. For redemption instructions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beach Passes for Active Military Personnel and Veterans
- Active Military Personnel and their dependents, will be admitted free of charge
- Retired, Disabled and Non-Active Veterans will be admitted free of charge
- Active Military Personnel and Veterans must present a Uniformed Services ID Card or an Award Letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs at the at the 3rd Avenue or 6th Avenue Ticket Booths on the Boardwalk in exchange for free daily passes.